In Australia, we are no strangers to extreme weather. Every year, severe storms with high winds, large hail and torrential rain cause millions of dollars worth of damage. If you want to better protect your home, car and contents next time there’s a severe storm, you need to act now! From preparing your home with a pre-storm checklist, to making last-minute changes when you receive a severe storm warning, we’ve got a few tips to keeping your belongings safer come storm season.
Protecting Your Home
When it comes to minimising storm damage to your home, it’s all about being properly prepared BEFORE the severe weather strikes. Tick all the boxes of our ‘Storm Preparation Home Safety Checklist’ for the best chance of protecting your home from damage.
Storm Preparation Home Safety Checklist
- Regularly inspect your roof to ensure there’s no damage or potential weak spots. If you’re not confident doing this or you find an issue, you can hire a Shellharbour roof repairs & restorations expert to help
- Keep your gutters, downpipes and drains clear of any obstructions to prevent water entering your home. You should check every couple of weeks or so
- Have a Shellharbour arborist remove any tree branches close to your home. You can even ask your local council to check trees on the street that may be a threat to your property or surrounding power lines
- Make sure you have all the necessary home, contents and car insurance—double check your policies to make sure you’re adequately covered
- If you don’t already have a safety switch installed, get your local Shellharbour electrician to install one. Safety switches can prevent damage and electrical fires if lightning strikes
Protecting Your Home In A Severe Storm
Remember to always keep one eye on the extended weather forecast to recognise when there is a higher possibility for a severe storm. You can also visit the Bureau of Meteorology and the NSW State Emergency Service website for information on severe weather warnings and disaster events. If a severe weather warning has been issued, we’ve provided a checklist to help better protect your home.
Severe Weather Warning Home Safety Checklist
- Disconnect electrical appliances from the outlets in case there’s a surge—even if you have a safety switch installed
- Secure outdoor furniture and other loose outdoor items that may become dangerous projectiles in high winds
- Close windows with shutters or use duct tape in a criss-crossing pattern and draw curtains
- Place sand bags over indoor drains to prevent sewerage backwash from flash flooding
In a severe storm, it’s vital that you put your personal safety before that of your belongings. Read our recent article on staying safe this storm season for more information. If you need emergency help or immediate advice during a severe storm, call the NSW State Emergency Service on 132 500.
Tips For Protecting Your Car In A Storm
You should always avoid driving when there’s a storm. If you’re caught in a storm seek shelter immediately. We’ve provided a few tips for protecting your car in a storm
- Plan ahead—avoid driving to work if there’s a potential for severe weather in the afternoon
- Don’t speed up to beat a storm
- NEVER take any chances driving through flood water
- If you’re caught in a storm where visibility is reduced, try to pull well off the road where legally possible and turn your hazard lights on
- Shelter vehicles undercover—not under trees and always away from power lines
- If you can’t find shelter before a storm, secure your vehicle with blankets and soft materials to minimise hail damage
If your car or home gets damaged this storm season, we’ve featured a Shellharbour panel beater and glazier expert who can help with the repairs.
Servicing: Shellharbour and its surrounding suburbs
Phone: 1300 55 8814
If your vehicle has suffered damage from debris or hail stones during a storm, let the Touch Up Guys get your car looking back to normal. Their services include:
- Bumper repairs
- Chips & Scratch repair
- Buff & polish available
Servicing: Shellharbour, Wollongong & entire Illawarra region
Phone: (02) 4261 7295
Strong winds and flying debris during storms can easily break or damage your windows. If you’ve got a shattered window, call the friendly team at Haines Glass. Their services include:
- Domestic & commercial glass replacement
- All insurance work
- Door & window repair
Want more tips for protecting your home? Check out these articles: