Whether it’s your home or business, you need to protect it from the unrelenting Australian sun, and the damage it can cause to our homes and bushlands. While being ready for storm season is a lot of people’s focus right now, preparing for fire season is also important in Port Stephens. To ensure protection from fire, keep these tips in mind!
There are a heap of precautions and prevention measures you can take for fire season to ensure that you, your family and your colleagues stay safe.
Your Home’s Exterior
- Clean your gutters of leaves & twigs
- Repair damaged or missing roof tiles
- Keep lawns & gardens well maintained
- Cut back trees & shrubs that are overhanging your home
Your Home’s Interior
- Ensure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home
- Seal any gaps in your doors, walls or windows
- Check your ventilation systems where embers could fly in
- Discuss an evacuation plan with your family
In the workplace, there should be a fire evacuation plan laid out and all staff should know what to do in the case of an emergency. Practicing a fire drill may also be beneficial.
Head to the NSW Fire & Rescue website to find out more on Building Fire Safety as well as Home Fire Safety.
Do you live rurally?
If you live in the rural areas of Port Stephens, the fire danger intensifies during summer. Whether you live in rural Port Stephens or you’re driving through on the weekend, you’ll most likely see one of these by the side of the road:
As the temperature rises, be prepared for that arrow to move around a bit. The higher the rating, the more alert you should be on your trip.
All prepared for fires this season? Check out these other articles for summer.
[Related: Storm season: Tips for staying safe]