HSC Written Exam Equipment List
Most exams require you to bring a black pen (be sure to bring plenty of spares in case of an emergency). Rulers, highlighters, pencils and sharpeners are also allowed. If you need to hydrate you can bring a bottle of water, but it must be in a clear bottle with no label. Watches are allowed, but must be taken off and placed in clear view come exam time. For more information on exam-specific equipment, visit the NSW Students Online Website.
Do not bring…
- Your mobile, under any circumstance
- A programmable watch (i.e. Apple Watch, Pebble Watch, etc.)
- Any electronic device (except calculator, where permitted)
- Paper or written materials (except where permitted)
- Correction fluid
- Dictionaries (except where permitted)
2015 HSC Study Guide
With so much information out there about preparing for your HSC written exams, study can easily become overwhelming. To help you better understand what is required of you come exam time, we’ve got a few resources that can point you in the right direction:
- Understanding key words used throughout the exam questioning
- Examples of 2014 HSC exam papers, marking guidelines and notes from the marking centre—for each subject
- The Sydney Morning Herald’s complete 2015 HSC study guide
Tips For Effective Study
Although everybody is different when it comes to studying, you want to make sure your studying environment is conducive to learning and that you’re using the right techniques to better understand and retain information.
Here are a few tips for getting the most out of your HSC written exam study:
- Study in a quiet, relaxed environment
- If a task seems too big, break it into smaller chunks
- Don’t stress about feeling under-prepared, focus on how you can best use the time remaining
- Get enough sleep and try starting a study routine
- Regular study breaks (without procrastinating) will improve concentration
- Keep a positive attitude!
Tips For Sitting The Test
It can be easy to get overwhelmed come exam time. However, staying calm and confident is key. After months of preparation, your HSC written exams will feel like they’re over in a flash. We’ve got a few tips to help you maximise your time and get the best results.
- Use your 5 minute skim reading time effectively & try to establish which questions will take more time
- Always attempt to answer every question, even if you’re unsure of the answer
- Spend more time on the questions that are worth more marks
- Keep an eye on the clock at all times and never spend too long on one question
- For written responses, write in short sentences, with 1 idea per sentence
- Support your answers with diagrams where possible
- Use every last minute of your exam time—if you finish early, use leftover time to search for errors & improve your written answers
It’s important to remember that a poor HSC result is not the end of the world. There is more than one pathway to reaching your destination. Speak to your school’s guidance counsellor about the alternative pathways available for you.
Visit the NSW Students Online Website for more information about preparing for your written exams.
Are you a year 12 student in Newcastle? We’ve found a couple of Newcastle tutors who can help you better prepare for your HSC written exams.
Hunter Mobile Tutoring
Servcing: Newcastle and the surrounding suburbs
- All ages & subjects catered for
- Competitive prices
- Mobile service
For a tutoring service to address your individual learning needs, you can’t go past Hunter Mobile Tutoring. The friendly team can develop a personalised learning plan to help you, better prepare for your HSC written exams. For more information, visit the Hunter Mobile Tutoring LocalSearch profile page.
Lake Macquarie & Newcastle Tuition
Servicing: Newcastle and surrounding suburbs
- Exam Preparation
- Qualified tutors
- HSC Specialists
If you don’t want to take any chances with your HSC results, call the trained staff at Lake Macquarie & Newcastle Tuition. With a mobile service that caters for all educational areas and subjects, Lake Macquarie & Newcastle Tuition can help empower you to tackle HSC study with confidence today! For more information visit the Lake Macquarie & Newcastle Tuition LocalSearch profile page.