Creating the perfect roast chicken and vegetables is easy once you know the basics. Follow our guide for a roast chook so good, everyone will be begging to know your secret.
What you will need:
- 1.5-kilogram chicken (taken out of the fridge 30-minutes before cooking)
- Butter (you can play with flavours)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2 potatoes per person
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A few sprigs of thyme, rosemary or your favourite fresh herbs
- 1 lemon
- Large roasting tray
- Medium roasting tray
- Plastic colander
- Pot of boiling water
Prepare the vegetables:
- Preheat oven to 250-degrees* and start to boil a pot of water
- Peel the onions and cut into quarters
- Smash garlic bulb until separated
- Wash the carrots and roughly chop
- Place all vegetables in the centre of the large tray, season and drizzle with olive oil
- Peel the potatoes and chop into quarters
- Place lemon into boiling water
*Every oven is slightly different, but you will learn the best temperatures after trying this recipe for the first time.
Prepare the chicken:
- Insert a spoon or knife between the skin and meat of chicken to create space
- Place butter (herb butter is highly recommended) into the newly created crevice
- Rub a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper all over the chicken
- Remove the lemon from the water and prick with a knife (be careful)
- Insert the lemon and herbs into the cavity of the chicken
- Place the chicken on top of vegetables
Cooking the potatoes:
- Put cut potatoes into boiling water for 12-minutes to par-boil
- To test whether they are done, insert a knife or fork into the potato. If it easily slides out, they are done
- Turn potatoes into colander and roughly shake (potatoes should have rough edges but not split open)
- Toss potatoes with olive oil, a knob of butter, salt and pepper
- Place in medium tray and cook for the last 45-minutes of chicken’s cook time
- Half-way through cook time, flatten the tops of the potatoes with a mashing utensil for crispy outsides and fluffy insides
Cooking the chicken:
- Reduce oven temperature to 180-degrees
- Place chicken into the oven and cook for roughly 30-minutes per 500 grams
- Check chicken halfway through and baste the meat
- If vegetables look dry, pour a third-of-a-cup of water into tray
Once complete, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh. If the juices run clear with no traces of pink, your chook is cooked and rest the chicken for 10 to 15 minutes before serving!
Note: If using stuffing, carefully remove lemon and herbs in the last 20-minutes of cooking and insert stuffing.
Are you looking for a butcher in Mount Isa?
The butchers at Sunset Butchery are licensed and trained to handle beef, chicken, duck, fish, lamb and pork. Whatever cut you need, the team are more than happy to help. Using Cryovac to ensure the freshest products possible, you know when you visit the Sunset Butchery, you’re able to purchase top-quality meats. Pop down today to view their packages and weekly specials.
Where: 7/121 Marion Street, Mount Isa QLD 4825
Don’t feel like cooking?
Verona Restaurant at Ibis Styles
Situated in the Ibis Styles Hotel, Verona Restaurant at Ibis Styles serves both breakfast and dinner. A full a la carte menu offers a range of dishes including popular pork, seafood and steak delights. Before dinner wander over to the bar for a refreshing drink and stay the night in one of the Ibis Hotels comfortable rooms. Drink, dine and relax at the Ibis Styles Hotel and Verona Restaurant.
Where: Corner of Rodeo Drive, Mount Isa QLD 4825
WHAT’S YOUR STORY?
Do you have a sure fire way to ensure the perfect roast? Tell us in the comments below.
Looking for some more tasty recipes? Check out these articles to get your tastebuds partying: