3 Golden Rules For Ergonomics
- When lifting any object at work, you should always use your largest muscle groups. This will help you avoid injuring any smaller muscle groups or joints (i.e. bending your legs and using you leg muscles instead of your back.
- Regardless of what task you’re performing at work, you shouldn’t stay in one position for too long. Keeping in any one position excessively will fatigue your muscles and make your body more prone to injury.
- Think about your joints. Try to keep your joints in a neutral position as often as you can. Working your joints at extreme ranges of motion, or placing excessive force on them in the long run will cause repetitive stress injuries.
Tips For Creating A More Ergonomic Workplace
- Sit into your chair as far as you can and make sure everything on your desk is easily within reach.
- Ensure your back is straight and your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle.
- No slouching! Sit with your head and neck up straight and make sure your computer is directly in front of you, so you don’t have to twist your neck.
- Adjust your computer screen so your eyes align with the top of the monitor.
- Keep your hands and wrists straight when typing.
- Take your eyes away from your computer screen from time to time and focus on different objects around the room.
- Breaks are important. Without getting out of your chair, you should be stretching and moving your arms, legs, back and neck often. Every 30 mins you should be getting out of your chair and having a proper stretch of your legs.
If you need more advice on ergonomics or you just need help ironing out aches and pains, we’ve featured a couple of Port Macquarie chiropractors who can assist!
Located in the heart of Port Macquarie, Savoy Health is a clinic that specialise in chiropractic treatments and kinesiology. Their services include:
- Spinal Adjustments
- Soft Tissue Therapy
Savoy Health takes a holistic approach to all their services. They are known around Port Macquarie for giving their patients a quality treatment. Visit their LocalSearch profile for a full list of their services.
Central Port Chiropractic
If you’re suffering from any neck pain, back pain or headaches, head down for a treatment at Central Port Chiropractic. Their services include:
- Structural Alignment
- Organ Optimisation
- Nutritional Testing & Advice
Open 6 days a week, their friendly clinic has all the industry leading equipment to ensure you get the correct treatment. Visit their LocalSearch profile for a look at their clinic location and opening hours.
If you enjoyed this article, you’ll love some of our other tips:
Is Your Work Ruining Your Posture?
Setting Up An Ergonomic Workspace
6 Benefits Of Massage In Exercise Recovery
Best Types Of Stress-Relieving Massage