Why have a house if you’re not doing something wonderful with your backyard? The space to create your own piece of paradise is right outside your door. Let’s look at some of the best landscaping and gardening options to take your outdoor space to the next level.
The Barbecue / Pizza Oven Game Changer
The great Australian BBQ has morphed in recent times, from extreme-blokey to something much more urbane. For generations, beer and BBQs went together like pretty much anything and traces of nuts. No matter how badly the chops and sausages were cremated, rescuing them was simply a matter of downing more beer.
Nowadays (probably since wineglasses became part of Australian households) we massage our lamb with olive oil and rosemary. Then we barbecue it pink, serve it with salsa verde and a side of grilled grappa-soaked peaches.
Important ingredients for a perfect backyard cooking zone:
- Space for guests to stand & mingle (consider paving where the ground is prone to damp).
- Shade relief — anything from conveniently placed foliage to shade sails & hanging umbrellas.
- Windbreaks help keep the flame alive. Without a windbreak, smoke gets in your eyes.
- Outdoor furniture — teak & oak are preferred outdoor timbers, stone is great & plastic furniture is the least expensive option.
- Outdoor lighting — less glare & nice ambience when low-set, high overhead casts less shadows over the cooking area.
The Swimming Pool Oasis
Your own swimming pool oasis is a logical next step if your fancy neighbours haven’t offered up their swimming pool for your convenience. Here are some tips for planning a swimming pool installation:
- Pools beneath trees are nice in theory but the practice of removing leaf litter will change your mind soon enough.
- Comfortable seating, plus foliage, shade sails or umbrellas (see above) makes spending time by the pool, not just in it, more enjoyable.
- Timber decking is popular, not just for good looks but also because it holds up well in all weather conditions.
- Reputable fencing companies know what is required regarding your pool fencing (buyer beware, of course). Otherwise, contact your local council.
- Well-lit pool surrounds are essential if you intend to swim at night. Underwater lighting needs to be considered before the pool is built.
The Kitchen Garden Gift That Keeps On Giving
Edible plants, more often than not, look as good as they taste. Why not enjoy a lush garden as well as a pantry and fridge stocked with the freshest food at the lowest prices?
Planning for planting your garden with vegetables, fruit and herbs:
- Make a preferred list of plants. You want a healthy, prolific garden, so talk to your local nursery to find out if the plants are suited to your location. You’ll also learn if additives are needed for your soil.
- Be open to non-traditional concepts. For example, you can harvest potatoes from a stack of old car tyres, grow lettuces, strawberries and tomatoes in rainwater guttering, or plant your veggies in hay bales.
- Raised garden beds solve many problems — well-draining from the get-go; convenient when harvesting; can’t be beat for bad backs.
- If your garden beds are ground level, fencing should be considered. You don’t want visiting fauna eating want your precious flora overnight.
- Nocturnal foraging is inevitable. A torch will work but why not position some outdoor lights that allow you to enjoy the fruits of your labours at all hours?
Creating any of these outdoor wonderlands means hard yakka. It will happen quickly and easily, however, when you get a landscaper in to do it for you.
In Port Macquarie, the following 2 businesses represent good value:
With skills in creating stone work, decking and paving for outdoor areas, Seascapes Landscape & Garden are both reputable and seasoned.
Among the services provided by Seascapes:
- Design & completion of pool surrounds
- Retaining walls, raised garden beds
- Paving & decking
Liberty Lawn & Garden brings some 50 years of combined experience in landscape gardening plan, design and construction. Prompt, reliable and cost-effective, Liberty offers the following services:
- Garden design & construction
- Garden makeovers
- Turfing & irrigation
That’s not all. Check out Liberty Lawn & Garden’s LocalSearch profile page.
You’ll find further inspiration in some of our other articles. Try these: