Before you get the kids in the kitchen, keep these tips in mind.
- Be sure you and the kids always wash hands, especially before and after handling raw meats.
- If using the stove, turn all pot and pan handles toward your splashback to prevent anything being knocked over.
- Hair goes up, aprons go on and sleeves are rolled up!
- If you’re teaching kids how to cut veggies, start them with a plastic knife.
- Keep a step nearby so your child can see everything they need to do.
- Keep oven mitts close by!
Cooking with under 3s
By 2 to 3 years of age, your bub will probably be showing some kind of interest in your cooking skills. Take advantage of this and turn it into a teaching moment! Make sure all hazards are up and away from grabby hands, your pathways are clear and any cleaning products are far out of reach. This age group will generally enjoy:
- Washing vegetables (great for teaching bub the names of different veggies)
- Stirring ingredients (be sure these are at room temperature)
- Sprinkling minor ingredients such as flour or icing surgar
Cooking with 3-5 year olds
Children 3 and above should have better comprehension skills, common sense and ability to follow basic instructions. However, skills can vary greatly at this age, so be sure to give your child tasks you know they will be able to handle. Just remember, safety first! Here are some activities this age group enjoy:
- Weighing ingredients and using measuring spoons
- Sifting flour
- Cutting soft ingredients including butter, mushrooms and strawberries (remember to give them a strong plastic knife!)
For more information on cooking with kids, click here.
Is it time for your child to experience child care? We’ve found a few Gold Coast centres to visit for a tour!
Looking to give your child a great start in life? With a stimulating educational environment combined with kindergarten and school preparation programs, Lollipop Lane is a great choice. Catering for children from 0 to 5 years, this purpose-built childcare centre in Burleigh Heads offers a wide range of fun activities and educational programs. With all nutritious meals provided, you can be sure your bub is in safe and caring hands at Lollipop Lane.
Where: 100 Kortum Drv, Burleigh Heads, QLD 4220
Gumnuts on Hardys Road
For a centre focused on creating a sense of wonder and amazement for all little ones through learning, visit Gumnuts on Hardys Road. Offering a comprehensive range of services including long day care, occasional care, vacation care, as well as before and after school care, Gumnuts on Hardys Road offers flexibility for parents and quality early education for kids. The only Reggio-inspired centre on the coast, come down for a tour today.
Where: 55 Hardys Rd, Mudgeeraba, QLD 4213
On a tight budget? Check out these 10 things for under $10 you can grab on the GC!
LOVE TO COOK?
Share your tips for cooking with the kids in the comments below.