Top Starting Tips
- Read your rental agreement to check if you have any special vacating conditions, such as compulsory pest treatments.
- Print out our guide to use as a checklist and have your entry condition report handy for reference.
- Book your cleaners, carpet cleaners and pest control in as soon as you know you will be vacating, to ensure they are available.
If anything was included in the home, such as a washing machine, shower curtain, or window curtains, make sure they are in the same condition as when you moved in. In the event they are irreparable, you will need to replace them with an exact copy or real estate approved replica. Here are a list of general things throughout the home to ensure are clean and repaired:
- Curtains, blinds and awnings.
- Carpet, rugs, tiles and any other flooring.
- Walls, ceilings, fans and light switches.
- Windows, window sills, window seals
- Doors and security screens.
- Pest control (if applicable).
- Fireplace, wood heaters and air conditioners.
- Cabinets, wardrobes and shelving, all inside and out.
Your kitchen is one of the rooms you will most likely spend the most amount of time cleaning. Ensure you clean all the following items in your kitchen:
- The oven, stove and convection fan.
- Fridge and microwave (if these were included with the property).
- Any roof attachments (such as pot rails).
- In the cracks of the oven, fridge cavity and cupboards.
- Sink and garbage disposal.
Bathroom & Laundry
When you are cleaning the bathroom, ensure you unclog the drains of any hair and debris, as well as leaving no personal products behind. If a washing machine or dryer were provided, you will need to remove all lint and leave them in working condition. Make sure you give these items a good clean:
- Shower screen and door.
- Tap handles, spout/shower rose in bath and shower.
- Basin, tubs and tap wear.
- Toilets (inside and out).
- Shower curtain (if one was provided for you).
When you leave the property, the yard and garden need to be left in a presentable state. Things to consider are:
- Verandah, patio or deck railings, glass and light fittings.
- Remove oil residue from concrete, paths, driveways and garage floors.
- Empty council bins, or place them out to the curb for the next collection.
- Mow lawn, trim hedges and weed garden.
- Return pool to original condition (take a photo or provide a pool test) as per the day you vacate).
Want more cleaning tips? Check out these articles: