- Ensure that you apply make-up, body lotions and perfume before you put your jewellery on.
- Store your pieces in boxes that are lined with fabric in order to prevent scratches. Sterling silver should be kept in an anti-tarnish bag or cloth to prevent discolouration.
- Wipe each piece of jewellery (with a soft cloth) after undressing to remove body oils, dirt and grime.
- Have white gold re-plated or silver polished to maintain shine and lustre — at least once a year depending on usage.
- Have your jewellery professionally cleaned and checked for loose stones or clasps — at least once a year depending on usage.
- Keep your jewellery care plans/insurance papers in a safe place.
- Keep your jewellery away from bathrooms and kitchen sinks where pieces could fall down the drain.
- Have jewellery exposed to harsh cleaning chemicals.
- Have jewellery exposed to chlorine.
- Keep your pieces on when doing physical exercise, housekeeping or gardening.
- Expose precious coloured gemstones to sudden temperature changes as this may cause fractures, cracks or discolouration.
Sometimes you need a professional opinion.
Now that you have your jewellery taken care of, read some of our fashion blogs here:
- Top 5 Fashion Hacks
- Calling All Fashionistas To Newcastle
- Recycle Your Winter Wardrobe So You’re Summer Ready!