If your floors are getting on with age and looking a little dull, you may be inclined to do a revamp. Before you get stuck into a flooring fiesta, assess your own skill set, assess the room and determine whether you’ll need professional help. We’ve compiled a few tips to keep in mind for different flooring applications to help you with the task. Check them out below.
- Make sure you use all preventative measures to ensure the longevity of your wooden floors. This includes using doormats by doors, placing rugs in high traffic areas and covering furniture legs with pieces of felt so they can move around without scratching the surface.
- Know what cleaning products to use when cleaning your wood floors. Anything abrasive or containing chemicals that could deteriorate the finish should not be used.
- Remember that wood is a natural material, and can shrink and swell in accordance with moisture levels and temperature. Consider the climate you live in and how it will affect your floor.
- When it comes to laminate flooring, you get what you pay for. The higher the quality of your flooring, the better the end result will be. Cheaper options that are lower in quality are more likely to warp, bubble and absorb stains.
- Allow a small amount of clearance around the edges of the flooring for expansion. If laminate flooring doesn’t have enough expansion room, it could result in warping, buckling and potential cracking of the material.
- Be sure to inspect your sub-floor before laying down laminate flooring. This really goes for any type of flooring, as a damaged sub-floor can eventually lead to bigger issues on the flooring you place above it.
- Ensure you have more tiles than what you need. This will allow room for breakages, miscalculations and difficulties cutting to size. If you’re left with extra, you can keep them as replacements for cracked or damaged tiles in the furture.
- Take time when grouting. If this process is rushed, then chances are that the grout will be distributed unevenly, leading to uneven tiling. Also, remove any excess grout immediately after laying tiles, as it will be harder to do so after the grout has dried.
- Use battens when laying your tiles. These are thin rods of wood laid vertically and horizontally to assist in keeping your tiles straight and symmetrical.
Before you dive into the wonderful world of flooring, it’s best to consult a professional. We’ve provided some Port Macquarie flooring services that’ll deliver quality results and advice.
When you need sales, installation services and advice on everything to do with furniture and flooring, trust Bell’s Furniture One. They provide:
- Carpet, timber, bamboo & vinyl flooring
- An extensive La-Z-Boy gallery
- Sales, consultation & installation of furniture
Being the longest established family business in Port Macquarie, the team at Bell’s Furniture One know their stuff. You can find all their details on LocalSearch.
With more than 50 years’ combined experience in the industry, the team at Port Floorworld are your go-to experts for everything flooring. Their services include:
- Commercial & residential flooring projects
- Carpet, carpet tiles, timber, laminate, bamboo & vinyl flooring
- Blinds, shutters & rugs
With their extensive range of experience servicing a range of clients, come and see the team at Port Floorworld and find out what they can do for you. You’ll find all their information on LocalSearch.