You don’t have to be chef or from Thailand to create a great-tasting traditional Thai dish! If you and the family are always going out, why not try cooking restaurant-style food yourself? For a taste of Thailand in the comfort of your own home, follow this easy-to-make Authentic Thai green curry recipe.
This recipe serves 4-5 people, but can be easily adjusted to feed more or less.
– 400 grams of beef (you can also use chicken or fish balls as a substitute)
– 1 tbsp of cooking oil (choose your own type but avoid olive oil)
– 3 tbsp of green curry paste
– 2 1/2 cups of coconut milk
– 2 kaffir lime leaves, torn
– 5-10 small fresh Thai eggplants (depending on the size), quarter them
– 2-3 red spur chillies, sliced (remember to add more chillies if you want extra bite. Alternatively use red capsicum if you’re not into spicy food)
– 1/4 cup of basil leaf
– 2 tbsp fish sauce
– 2 tbsp palm sugar
1. Start by slicing your meat into thin (around 3cm thick) pieces.
2. Preheat your wok using a medium heat, before adding the oil and sautéing the green curry paste.
3. Once the paste is fragrant, reduce the heat and gradually add 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk while stirring until a film of green oil surfaces.
4. Add the sliced beef and torn kaffir leaves. Continue cooking until the beef is cooked through (should be around 3 minutes).
5. Transfer contents to a pot and continue cooking on a medium heat until it begins boiling.
6. Add the remaining coconut milk, as well as the palm sugar and fish sauce.
7. Once the contents returns to a boil, add the quartered eggplants.
8. Wait until the eggplants are cooked then sprinkle with some basil and chilli.
9. Arrange on a serving dish then garnish with some more basil and chilli.
You don’t have to follow this recipe step for step. We encourage you to attempt your own variations and who knows you might create something that not only tastes better, but is your own unique recipe!
See how the chefs do it
If you want to find out how an authentic Thai green curry is supposed to taste, head to your local Thai restaurant in Shellharbour. Luckily for you, we’ve found a couple of the most popular places for you to try!
Andaman Thai Restaurant
For a little piece of Thailand right in the heart of Shellharbour, head down to Andaman Thai Restaurant. Specialising in a blend of authentic Thai dishes with a modern twist, the fresh ingredients will have you coming back again and again. If you’ve got a big appetite, we suggest starting with a couple of pork dumplings, before digging into a green curry that will blow your mind! Open lunch and dinner Friday through to Saturday, you can’t go wrong with a visit to Andaman Thai Restaurant.
Where: 2/13 Addison St Shellharbour NSW
@Harbour Thai Restaurant
If you’re after a fine-dining experience to go with some mouth-watering Thai Food, take a seat at @Harbour Thai Restaurant. When’s the last time you spoilt your significant other? With harbour views and experienced chefs who have developed a versatile menu, this restaurant is the perfect place for a romantic dinner. During your sitting, we suggesting digging into one of their curries or any of the chef’s recommendations—which includes massaman lamb shanks and tamarind prawns. For a Thai food experience unlike any other in Shellharbour, call @Harbour Thai Restaurant and book a table today.
Where: Shop 4/7 Addison St Shellharbour NSW
WHAT’S YOUR STORY?
Have you attempted a traditional Thai green curry before? Let us know how you went in the comments below!