What foods shouldn’t your dog eat?
1. Cow’s Milk
It’s not a good idea to give your pet pooch cow’s milk, due to the lack of enzymes in their body needed to breakdown lactose. Although the reaction does vary, it’s much safer (and cleaner) to give your puppy pet-safe milk products.
What To Do If Your Dog Drinks Milk
Some dogs may not experience anything more than a little gas, but some reactions can be very severe. If your dog is suffering from vomiting or diarrhoea, provide small amounts of water and a bland diet such as Hills Prescription i/d, which can be found at Killarney Vale Veterinary Clinic.
A trip to the vet is necessary if heavy vomiting or diarrhoea is occurring or if the symptoms persist over a couple of hours. It’s also advised to watch for signs of dehydration, which may need a vet’s attention. Signs of dehydration include dry gums, lethargy and loss of skin elasticity.
2. Anything From The Allium Family (Onions, Garlic, Chives & Leeks)
Foods in the allium family are toxic to dogs. The result of eating foods containing onions, garlic, chives and/or leeks can cause hemolytic anaemia. This is a condition that causes the body to attack it’s own red blood cells and if left untreated can be fatal.
What To Do If Your Dog Eats Any Allium Products
A reaction to the allium food group may not be apparent for a few days. If you notice any of these symptoms after your dog has ingestion onions, garlic, chives or leeks, contact your local vet for advice.
- Pale gums
- Abdominal pain
3. Grapes & Raisins
Although medical professionals aren’t too sure why grapes and raisins affect dogs, they are highly toxic. Symptoms may include excessive vomiting, hyperactivity, lethargy, kidney failure or loss of life.
What To Do If Your Dog Eats Grapes Or Raisins
If your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, they will need urgent medical attention. Get them to a vet ASAP and call ahead to let them know you’re on your way and for advice on what to do in the meantime.
4. Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts are a popular snack, but if consumed by your dog, can be extremely harmful.
What To Do If Your Dog Eats Macadamia Nuts
A reaction to macadamia nuts usually starts within half a day of your dog consuming them. Your dog may experience vomiting, depression, weakness or paralysis. If you have noticed any of these symptoms, or have seen your dog ingest macadamia nuts, contact your vet for advice.