When do you need a marine licence?
In Queensland, you must have a licence to drive a recreational boat if it has an engine power greater than 4.5kW. This boat is to be used only for recreational activities, and not business, trade or commerce. To drive a personal watercraft such as a jet ski, you’ll need both a Recreational Marine Driver Licence (RMDL)and a Personal Watercraft Licence (PWC), which you can get from 16 years of age.
New legislation now requires all those wishing to gain a Queensland Boat Licence to undergo training and assessment under the BoatSafe scheme. Luckily, there are plenty of boating schools around Townsville where you can learn the ropes of boating and gain your Recreational Marine Driver Licence or your Personal Watercraft Licence!
Australian Boating College NQ
Since 2003, the team at Australian Boating College NQ have helped thousands of locals get their marine license. They can help you with:
- RMDL & PWC Licence training & assessment
- Navigation courses
- Marine radio licences, & much more
Whether you want to gain your licence or simply refresh your skills, Australian Boating College NQ has you covered. You can find all their details on LocalSearch.
Applying for a marine licence
Most transport and motoring customer service centres provide marine licensing services. To avoid wasting time, it is best to call ahead and check that they do. You’ll need to take:
- A complete marine licence application form
- Proof of identity (Current driver licence, proof of age card, industry authority card or marine licence indicator)
- Original & current statement of competency from your BoatSafe training provider
- Money to pay the licence fee
Buying a boat & servicing it
For the best deals in marine products and supplies, head to Rosshaven Marine. Their comprehensive services include:
- Various marine repairs & fabrication
- Abrasive blasting
- Refurbishments & fit-outs, plus much more
For more than 30 years, Rosshaven Marine has provided exceptional services to the marine industry across the globe. Check out their LocalSearch profile for more information.